Pav bhaji is very popular street food in Mumbai, its spicy mashed vegetables cooked with butter and served with buttery pav(bread). I love to make pav bhaji because my kids don’t like vegetables but for their health it’s important to have vegetables in their meals. So, i give them vegetables in form of pav bhaji, they love pav bhaji as they cannot separate vegetables in bhaji 😀.
Pav bhaji is very way to make. Here is step by step instructions to make pav bhaji followed by Ingredients.
- Potato peeled and chopped 2 cups
- Cauliflower chopped 1/2 cup
- Green beans 1/2 cup(optional)
- Carrots 1/2 cup
- Green peas 1/2 cup
- Green bell paper (capsicum) nicely chopped 1/2 cup
- Pav bhaji masala
- Onion 1 medium chopped.
- Tomato chopped 2 cups
- Ginger and Garlic paste 1 tsp
- chopped coriander 1 tbsp.
- Pav bread 6 pieces.
- Lemon juice 1/2 tsp(optional)
- Red chilies powder 1 tsp (prefer Kashmiri lal Mirch powder for good color as well)
- Salt to taste
- Washed chopped potatoes, cauliflower, peas, beans, carrots and put in pressure cooker all together with a cup of water and salt.
- let vegetables cooked for 10 minutes on medium heat for 5-6 whistles. Vegetables will become soft.
- Turn off the flame and cool down vegetables little bit and mash them with masher. Keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter in a pan and add chopped onions in it and caramelized till it change color. Add ginger garlic paste, salt to it and sauté for 1 min.
- Add chopped capsicum and cook for 2 mins. Now add chopped tomatoes and cover it for 4-5 mins for tomatoes to cook and soft on medium heat. Mix well and let all water to be vaporized and it will become thick paste consistency.
- Add pav bhaji masala, red chili powder and mix well. cook for about 1 minute to incorporate all spices all together.
- Now mix all meshed vegetables to mixture and mix properly, add water as per the consistency you like. I don’t like thick consistency, so I add 3/4 cup hot water now to mix all spices with vegetables and cook for 5 mins on low- medium flame. Add 2 tbsp butter on top and mix well, cover it for 2 more minutes to incorporate well.
- Add chopped coriander and 1 tbsp butter on top and cover with lid. Stitched off the flame.
- Cut pav horizontally in 2 pieces. On big heavy base pan or skillet spread 1 tsp of butter and sprinkle pinch of pav bhaji masala, toast pav on it. It will give nice masala a flavor to pav.
- Pav bhaji is ready to serve.
- On serving dish add hot bhaji and some lemon juice optional and mix well, top with 1 tsp butter. Place pav in serving plate and garnish with lemon slices and salad aside.