Lemon pickle (Nimbu ka achaar) is very traditional pickle in India. It’s very healthy and gives flavour to food as side dish. Some people love to have only pickle with chapati or paratha.
Lemon pickle is sweet and sour in taste. It takes some time to get ready but can be preserved for months or year, if made properly. Lemon pickle helps in digestion as it has carom seeds and lemon which is best combination for bloating, gas problems.
Today, I am sharing my mom recipe of lemon pickle which I learnt from her and I made this pickle first time by myself this week. I hope it taste same as she makes.
- Lemon 1 kg
- Carom seeds(ajwayan) 4 tbsp
- Salt 4 tbsp
- Sugar 300 gram
- Black pepper powder 2 tbsp(optional)
- Wash the lemons and air dry it naturally for some time.
- Cut the lemon in to 4 or 8 equal pieces.
- Mix salt, sugar, pepper powder and carom seeds(ajwayan) all together in a bowl.
- Take a sanitized air tight pickle pot.Add 1 tbsp of dry spices mixture in pot.
- Add few pieces of lemon in pot and cover it with 1 tbsp of dry mixture again.
- repeat step 6 until all lemon pieces and dry mixture is layers in pot. Squeeze few lemons in pots to let dry mixture to be mixed with lemon pieces.
- Tighten the pickle pot lid and keep it in sun light (if possible) for few days and shake them everyday to get everything mix well.
- Lemon pickle will take some time to get ready approximate 1-2 weeks, but you can preserve in room temperature in air tight jar for months.
TIP: you can mix all dry ingredients with lemon in a big bowl and then transfer in pot